DAB radio

The place to talk about ALPINAs.
e.g. News, Reviews, Insurance, Warranties, Running Costs, Sightings, general questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

DAB radio

Post by sward » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:16 pm

I had an email today from the BMW dealer in Leamington (where I bought my winter wheels) offering me a BMW DAB radio to fit with my OEM unit, with a separate remote and an aerial to be fitted discreetly (so they say!) in the windscreen. Does anyone have any experience of these units? I do like to listen to Planet Rock at home on our DAB radio, and if this is a decent bit of kit (and is not obtrusive) then I might be interested. They are quoting £299 including fitting.
http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/accessories/ ... __,00.html
Thoughts?
Regards
Simon

joylove
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by joylove » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:14 pm

Well, from BMW I'd expect it to work on the MOST bus, be controllable from and use the display on the radio, and replace the antenna amp with one that supports DAB.

For £300 fitted for a dash mount job I'd be looking at the Pure Highway 300Di at £179 plus fitting at a decent place that won't botch the wiring and shove their horrors behind the dash.

Plus it'd better be DAB+, not just DAB.

Also if your glass screen is metalised, it can give all sorts of grief with antennas and with DAB's already abysmal signal.

SleeperService
ALP
ALP

Post by SleeperService » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:15 pm

This looks interesting..

Not so much Planet Rock as Test Match Special for me..

but I am interested to know if the quality, and discreteness, it there....
D3BT #200 Lux Pack and Switchtronic

E24man
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by E24man » Wed Aug 29, 2012 9:26 pm

Last edited by E24man on Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joylove
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by joylove » Wed Aug 29, 2012 11:37 pm

iBus then. The canbus is only for mission critical chat between the DME and DSC etc.

I assumed it was for the E90 in the avatar which should have a MOST bus (although the bottom spec cars didn't get one)

So one assume it uses the Aux inputs on the back of the radios.

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by sward » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:56 am

It would be for the E92 in my avatar. The link I posted suggests it is compatible. I don't know if it would remove the CD changer function though. I'll e-mail the dealer and get more information!

Mark996
ALP
ALP

Post by Mark996 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:22 pm

I'd be really interested in this as the two courtesy cars I was given by Sytners when mine went back in both had DAB as standard, and I thought it was fantastic....

£299 though....hmmmm
D3 BT Touring, sapphire black, lux pack, 19" classics, pro sat nav - #220

sward
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by sward » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:35 pm

Dealer says this won't affect the CD changer functionality: it is a separate function from CD etc. I asked whether they had a car with it fitted, but they didn't. I'd rather like to see one of these, or at least hear a positive review from someone who has one, before taking the plunge.

mac
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by mac » Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:33 pm

joylove wrote:Well, from BMW I'd expect it to work on the MOST bus, be controllable from and use the display on the radio, and replace the antenna amp with one that supports DAB.

For £300 fitted for a dash mount job I'd be looking at the Pure Highway 300Di at £179 plus fitting at a decent place that won't botch the wiring and shove their horrors behind the dash.

Plus it'd better be DAB+, not just DAB.

Also if your glass screen is metalised, it can give all sorts of grief with antennas and with DAB's already abysmal signal.
The Pure unit looks OK, but the windscreen aerial looks bulky and ugly being half mounted on the screen and extending to the roof!
Have a look at www.dabonwheels.co.uk either that or .com
They might show a review or two. That is if it is still there that is, long time since I have had a look.
I have the old Pure Highway unit mounted on the dash and hard wired in, it looks dated now but still works fine. I did away with the foil screen mounted aerial. I use the Pure magnetic base aerial that cost about £20. I have it lying down wedged on the back parcel shelf and an extension lead connecting it to the front. The lead is hidden away behind the rubber door seal trim.
I admit reception is not great but it is better than the crap foil version. I initially had it on the roof but it started to mark the paint hence the rear parcel shelf position.
Picks up talksport readily enough and PLANET ROCK but can still be 'iffy' with reception in certain areas, must be some sort of blind spot because the drop outs are always at the same point on journey to work etc.
Cost me £90 for the unit and aerial, the extension lead bought separately from fleabay for about a £1 or so.
It is better than listening to Talksport on AM though! Some times if it has dropped out I flick the radio back to AM and the difference in quality is astounding! Not because it is digital though because at the end of the day it is connected to the radio via an FM signal, still good though.
Drove to Wembly twice last season and had Talksport all the way there and back with only an occasional short drop in signal.
If I could afford it I would go for the BMW version just for the fact you can control it all via the steering wheel controls and NOT just the volume that I have at the minute.
I have pictures of it set up in my old D3 MT somewhere! The position I have it now is better though, just in front of the air vent.
I hope this helps.
Mac

vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by vblanche » Fri Aug 31, 2012 2:08 pm

mac wrote:I have pictures of it set up in my old D3 MT somewhere!
if I can help, just ask :wink:
2002 B3 3.3x touring No 100

PerryGunn
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by PerryGunn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 3:56 pm

If you want DAB, this company are supposed to be very good at retrofits

http://www.cartronics.co.uk/BMW-retrofi ... series-E93
Alpina Roadster S #320
BMW X3 F25 LCI 30d

jacoda434
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by jacoda434 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:15 am

Will need to look at this :D Smooth 70s is never off the dab radio i have in the house :D

No Alpina just now sold the Silver B5 Touring and bought Two X3 3.5D
One Silver and One Grey with a loads of toys in spec

markbannister
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by markbannister » Tue Sep 04, 2012 11:36 am

I had DAB as standard in my E90 318 as I'm a big 6Music listener but, especially around here, the reception broke up rather regularly, had to visit various areas of town to find all the different channel suites and the steering wheel buttons don't work with the stored channels, they just take you to the next channel it finds.

So didn't bother with the current car.

Having said that, things may have improved in the last 3 years as the DAB reception in my house is great.
Mark B