D3 BiTurbo manual; judder in 1st and reverse

Got a question about your ALPINA ask it here !
You've got the car now you need to know something, techincal advice, specific questions etc.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

ajsmith
ALPI
ALPI

D3 BiTurbo manual; judder in 1st and reverse

Post by ajsmith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:36 pm

I often feel some judder when reversing my D3 BiTurbo (manual gearbox) and when setting off in 1st. The first gear issue gets worse when stop/start in traffic, is this unusual?

Kyle
ALPIN
ALPIN

Post by Kyle » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm

I'm not a D3 owner.... but I think D3 owners are going to need more info to help you out!

Can you be more descriptive?

Where is the judder felt? Clutch? Gear shifter?
Is it also heard?
Is it also seen (revs)?
Does the car swag/sway from side to side?
What action triggers it? Acceleration or Braking?
Is it more pronounced when your steering is a full lock?

Please be as verbose as you can be, in describing the issue and it will give other D3 owners a higher chance of providing meaningful feedback.

Maybe you could get video and upload to youtube, if you think it could help?
Last edited by Kyle on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dubbers
ALP
ALP

Post by dubbers » Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:35 pm

Nope, its the clutch delay valve (CDV). See http://www.babybmw.net/forum/viewtopic. ... elay+valve amongst other threads. Its quite a cheap an easy fix on an OE CDV, but need some expertise (and trolley jacks) to re-fit modified part. Would like to do this mod to mine, as the clutch in 1st is very unpredicatable and difficult to modulate accurately.
61 Octavia vRS Estate 170PS 6MT in Candy White

ajsmith
ALPI
ALPI

Post by ajsmith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 pm

It happens most when reversing off my drive which has a slight incline and I am using the biting point. It also happens frequently when stuck on traffic. It only happens when biting and not in gear changes. Car is fine when clutch is fully engaged. I have noticed it a little more in recent months but have not kept detailed log of occurences.

IAM Joe
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by IAM Joe » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:21 pm

Oh dear, sounds like it's either the flywheel/clutch issue or the CDV. From what I've read there is a difference if it does it in reverse only or forward and reverse.

I had the issue where it would judder for the first few times I set off in the morning. It was a faulty seal on the flywheel leaking onto the clutch plate when the car was stood, it would cause the clutch to slip and judder until the liquid burnt off.

Sytner replaced my clutch and flywheel with BMW paying as a goodwill seeing as the car was out of warranty. However, I've since noticed a judder occasionally when setting off on a hill or like you say reversing up an incline.

It's a common problem with the E90 but I thought the Bi-turbo wouldn't suffer as it has such a stronger gearbox.

Makes me think its the CDV... :roll:
Joe

SOLD!

Diesel Power! #412

ajsmith
ALPI
ALPI

Post by ajsmith » Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:32 pm

Bugger, call to Sytners in order then.

buzzer
A
A

Post by buzzer » Sun May 16, 2010 10:34 pm

How did you get on, have a similar issue with my D3 Bi-turbo, when cold a slight judder, then clears up when warm. it started to get worse and was going to book it in, but I slipped the clutch at highspeed to load it a bit and the problem cleared up. keeping my eye on it as it definately seems like contamination.

Dave
B3 convertible E46
My other cars
Range Rover CSK
Westfield SEiW
Lotus Europa
Alpine GTA