new dilemna for Vincent

Thinking of Buying one - ask your questions here.
Buying guides, Specific questions about a car, or about a particular model, ALPINA characteristics.

Moderators: Charles, neil, D4

vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA

new dilemna for Vincent

Post by vblanche » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a new dilemna due to a future happy event: in few months, I will become father for the second time...very happy I am :crazy: :yahoo: :dance2: :yahoo: :crazy: :dance

now my dilemna: 2 kids and a 3-serie...hmm = lack of space. Just with my son (2 years old), any w/end or holidays are filling the car, I can't imagine with a newborn + a toddler.

so, in few months, i would be tempted to upgrade in car size...alpina, I'd love to...this could mean B5 touring, but these cars are inexistants (more or less).

2 questions:
- if i decide to upgrade, when would be the best time to sell my D3? now? in 1 year?

- what car would you recommend? (I need to clarify here that I can't buy new a B5, i wish but I can't). 535d? 530d? or car maker?

thanks for your advices
vincent
2002 B3 3.3x touring No 100

B10BRW
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by B10BRW » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:46 pm

Charles

Post by Charles » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:53 pm

Many congratulations - but as a father of four may I strongly recommend you stop right now :!:

As for dealing with your current dilemna:

Vinyl decals are, of course, voluntary, but a sensible size box means that you could pack one of these:

We didn't actually take the kitchen sink but we did manage to fit in a small fridge and pretty much what you can see was loaded into the box and boot of my car. From the second picture you will note that we were also running as the support vehicle for the TVR which has a boot space large enough for three baguettes and some smelly cheese (or at least that's what we thought was in there with the bread).

Oh, and we also had a glitter ball suspended from the apex poles - but that's perhaps a story for another time.
Charles
Teacher of Chemistry and driver of ALPINAs - not necessarily in that order ;)
B3S Touring (49/116) - been to the moon and now on the way back!
Renault Grand Espace - not mine but the wife's!

vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by vblanche » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:01 am

Charles wrote:Many congratulations
Thank you very much...indeed, 2 kids might be enough...to be continued.

for the putative upgrade, I'm reluctant to re-sell the D3...and I also have a roof box that was full for the last holidays, but might need some training of "how to properly fill up a roof box"...

maybe a B5 tourer will show up in a year...

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:06 am

vblanche wrote: but might need some training of "how to properly fill up a roof box"...
I've got an "ology" in that ...

...imagine packing for four kids, a labrador and a wife who is risk averse and so packs for hot/cold/wet/dry and for three times as long as planned - just in case!

And then when I think I have everything in, magically two more bags appear :evil:
Charles

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:17 am

Sounds like a towbar is needed. Then a small trailer, going on to a larger trailer if your procreation continues in fortuitous fashion (or you find out what causes it). :lol:

BTW, Congratulations....and heed Charles' advice! But whatever, keep that lovely D3. :clap:
Current:
23MY Porsche Macan GTS in Papaya
23MY Cupra Born V3 77kW in Aurora

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.
PORSCHE: Macan S, Cayman 981 S, Cayman 981 GTS

Bruce M
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Bruce M » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:23 am

Packing is an art form...

My mrs used to be the worlds worse "packer" until she had to travel with work for a number of months. Funnily enough carrying her own bags for a few weeks resulted in a complete U turn. She is now a very efficient "packer" :D
--------
Gone but not forgotten

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:28 am

Bruce M wrote:Packing is an art form...

My mrs used to be the worlds worse "packer" until she had to travel with work for a number of months. Funnily enough carrying her own bags for a few weeks resulted in a complete U turn. She is now a very efficient "packer" :D
When's she next going near Vincent's...might save him a packet with a few lessons for Mrs Blanche!!
Current:

Previously loved:
ALPINA: E91 B3SBiturbo #127, E92 B3SBiturbo #285, E90 D3Biturbo #097, E85 Roadster S #168 & variety of 'beige' 4 and 6-cyl BMW lumps.

vblanche
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by vblanche » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:08 am

oh well, I was just getting an excuse to get a B5, nevermind.... :lol:

Charles

Post by Charles » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:26 am

vblanche wrote:oh well, I was just getting an excuse to get a B5, nevermind.... :lol:
Nice thinking Vincent but we are really keen to keep you in the D3. You have sorted out your winter tyres, jacking points, spare wheels and all the other really important stuff and changing cars would mean another round of similar questions .... :wink:

Anyway, believe me when I tell you that you will need that money (and more, much more) in the months and years to come ... :shock:
Charles

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:47 am

Charles wrote:
vblanche wrote:oh well, I was just getting an excuse to get a B5, nevermind.... :lol:
Nice thinking Vincent but we are really keen to keep you in the D3. You have sorted out your winter tyres, jacking points, spare wheels and all the other really important stuff and changing cars would mean another round of similar questions .... :wink:

Anyway, believe me when I tell you that you will need that money (and more, much more) in the months and years to come ... :shock:
Look at those worldly-wise words above, Vincent. You'll have to sew up some pockets now as they're going to become redundant :D
Current:

Previously loved:

Richy_Boy
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Richy_Boy » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:12 pm

I agree with Charles, there's an art to packing for holidays. I think the next stage for me is to just take less, the sizable tent and furniture is getting out of hand!

I only have one nipper though and with my new suspension I'll be spending a day raising the car before I go anywhere!

Maye I should just face facts and get a towbar and small trailer on the Mrs 307 HDi.. that would be so much more sensible (much less fun though!).

Rich
Richy_Boy
--
Current Car: BMW e46 M3 CS SMG

Previous:
BMW 335d M Sport Coupe Highline
BMW 123d M Sport Coupe, no DPF, 275bhp and 520nm of torques.

Historical Alpina B3S Coupe #19 Owner

Ikule
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by Ikule » Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:28 pm

Congratulations on the forthcoming new arrival Vincent, :D
in a way this leads us back to a post a few months ago where someone asked why Alpina didn't do a D5,
i personally think Alpina are missing a popular niche here as i'm sure there are people interested in an Alpina but, other than the big V8 'charged 5 series, they offer nothing in this class size for the family man who may have to have one eye on economy along with extra space requirements,
surely a B5 3.0 Biturbo alongside a D5 3.0 Biturbo would sit well in the range as the B10 six cylinders did with the B10 V8's?
Steve C

'98 B10 3.2 #88 (for summer cruising)
'04 Mini Cooper S (commuting/sacrificial shopping trolley target....)
'94 325i Coupe SOLD
'88 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i SOLD
'90 Astra MkII GTE 16V (Turbo conversion) SOLD

ade and liz flint
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by ade and liz flint » Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:56 pm

Ikule wrote: in a way this leads us back to a post a few months ago where someone asked why Alpina didn't do a D5,
i personally think Alpina are missing a popular niche here as i'm sure there are people interested in an Alpina but, other than the big V8 'charged 5 series, they offer nothing in this class size for the family man who may have to have one eye on economy along with extra space requirements,
surely a B5 3.0 Biturbo alongside a D5 3.0 Biturbo would sit well in the range as the B10 six cylinders did with the B10 V8's?
It would seem a sensible option.....some of us do have a need for economy with performance. This would be an attractive option 8)
Current:

Previously loved:

MarkWG
ALPINA
ALPINA

Post by MarkWG » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:24 pm

Congratulations, but as for giving up the D3 - it's built for a family, isn't it? Four doors & a tailgate? Remember the old proverb: "the more room you have, the more stuff you'll aquire to fill it..." :wink: - & don't get me started on holidays as a kid: Dad, Mum, me + two strapping brothers, a dog, enough stuff for a week in Wales...in a Hillman Imp with a roofrack :D :shock: